xorg fglrx driver on newer kernel... How to recompile restricted modules?

zi99y zi99y at gezpage.com
Sat Apr 15 08:10:09 UTC 2006

Hi,

I've had repeated nightmares using the latest fglrx driver for my ati x700
graphics chip, mostly the machine freezing when shutting down. Now I have
decided it's just not worth it, and have reinstalled the 8.6.20 version that
comes from the repos package, and it works fine for me.

The problem I'm having now, is that in order to get DRI working I have had to
revert to using an old kernel that has linux-restricted-modules pre-packaged
in the repos. I cannot get DRI / OpenGL working without it.

I cannot find any information regarding recompiling these restricted modules
for a later kernel, and I think this is what I need to do to fix this
problem.

tia!

zi99y