Dapper Drake - Power Manager error when logging in via FreeNX

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Sat Apr 15 00:11:35 UTC 2006

gestahl wrote:

> yeah , i usually have my winbox just for gaming and usually run freenx
> to do rest of stuff on my ubuntu box , like web browsing and such , and
> on dapper amsn or mercury and some other thins simply don't run .
>

> infinity at chaotic:~$ amsn
>
> Application initialization failed: this isn't a Tk applicationunknown
> color name "Black"

I get the "unknown color" errors for a number of non-KDE apps.  The most
annoying, to me, is xfrisk :-)  I hate not being able to play risk on my XP
box at work!

I get the _exact_ error though running idle - the python ide.  Somehow, it's
impossible for anything running in the freenx environment to be recognized
as a "tkinter" app.  Ironically, the description of idle says: "IDLE is
written using Tkinter and therefore quite platform-independent." :-)

Of course, I haven't actually got any closer to a solution :-(
--
derek