[Dapper] ATI Radeon : installing proprietary drivers ?

Vincent Trouilliez vincent.trouilliez at modulonet.fr
Fri Apr 14 22:51:24 UTC 2006

Ah, thanks, the 'Radeon' driver does indeed give 3D acceleration on the
Radeon cards :-)
But somehow doesn't work on my card, eventhough the man page says it is
supported :-( Well it doesn't list the 9250, but it lists the "9200 Pro
(RV280)", and that's how my 9250 is detected, somehow.
Maybe it needs a little bit of tweaking to get it going ?

On Sat, 2006-04-15 at 00:12 +0200, Mario Vukelic wrote:
> They get better. I run them on my HP laptop and can live with it. But if
> one wants top 3D performance in linux,

If I wanted top 3D performance, I wouldn't have bought a Radeon 9250 ;-)
I picked it up because it cost only 35 Euros new, was the cheapest I
could find :-)

> the only real option is nvidia.

Oh my god... I have a Nvidia (on-board) GeForce2 MX 32MB, and the
picture quality is so crap, and the binary drivers so buggy and
unstable, that it was precisely what led me to give ATI a try in the
first place. Despite the problems with fglrx, it is still much better
than nvidia one, which rendered the machine objectively useless.

> Depending on where you live

I am in France.

> you might be able to return the card or
> change it to another one? E.g., in Germany, it's possible to return an
> item within 14 days without giving a reason.

Yeah, here too... but I bought it 3 weeks ago...

--
Vince