Making a keymap

Marius Gedminas marius at pov.lt
Fri Apr 14 19:23:22 UTC 2006

On Fri, Apr 14, 2006 at 01:26:19PM +0200, Pupeno wrote:
> It seems I have to make my own keymap (dvorak with dead keys and altgr), any
> ideas where do I start ?

There's the old way and somewhat simpler way (xmodmap), and the new and
complicated way (xkb).  XKB is somewhat more flexible, and theoretically
more "correct".  xmodmap is probably easier to achieve (although I'm
banging my head against the wall trying to figure out why my xmodmap
script to remap an extra ThinkPad key to Alt_R now doesn't have any
effect).

You've had a few responses about xmodmap, so I'll give a couple of links
about xkb:

  http://www.charvolant.org/~doug/xkb/
  http://pascal.tsu.ru/en/xkb/

Cheers!
Marius Gedminas
--
Premature optimization is the root of all evil.
                -- D.E. Knuth