xhost

Laura Conrad lconrad at laymusic.org
Fri Apr 14 13:52:30 UTC 2006

This may or may not be an ubuntu problem, but it's a problem with
using my ubuntu install.

I have a desktop machine running Debian Sid (named serpent), and a
laptop (named recorder) with an ubuntu install (originally breezy,
dist-upgraded to dapper).

I start X on serpent and issue the command xhost
+recorder.  I then do "ssh -X recorder", and in that window type
"export DISPLAY=serpent:0.0".  I would then expect to be able to type
"emacs" and have it come up on the serpent display.  But instead, I
get:

        lconrad at recorder:~$ emacs: Cannot connect to X server serpent:0.0.
Check the DISPLAY environment variable or use `-d'.
Also use the `xhost' program to verify that it is set to permit
connections from your machine.

On serpent, xhost says:

[tmp]# xhost
access control disabled, clients can connect from any host
INET:recorder.localdomain
You have new mail in /var/spool/mail/lconrad
[tmp]#

On recorder:

lconrad at recorder:~$ xhost
xhost:  unable to open display "serpent:0.0"
lconrad at recorder:~$

Am I doing something wrong, or is this not working the way other
people would expect, too?

--
Laura (mailto:lconrad at laymusic.org , http://www.laymusic.org/ )
(617) 661-8097	fax: (501) 641-5011