Playing streaming NPR?

Henk Koster H.A.J.Koster at xs4all.nl
Fri Apr 14 11:50:30 UTC 2006

On Thu, 13 Apr 2006 19:52:32 -0700, Gary W. Swearingen wrote:

> That sounds an awful lot like my experiences with realplayer on
> debian, ubuntu, kubuntu, and mandriva.  Long "black" period, then it
> runs VERY poorly, with the menus VERY slow to respond.

Today I removed my exisiting RealPlayer package (from the Marillat
repository) and downloaded the latest RealPlayer 10 binary from Helix DNA
site
http://forms.helixcommunity.org/helix/builds/?category=realplay-current
and installed it to /usr/local/lib/RealPlayer/, just answering yes to
all installer questions. This solved the problems with s-l-o-w buttons and
also allowed playing my favourite CBC News videos (it would still slow
down a little, but kept playing).