Another disk image attempt failed :(

Daniel Carrera daniel.carrera at zmsl.com
Fri Apr 14 08:22:44 UTC 2006

Gary W. Swearingen wrote:
>>1. Boot from a rescue disk.
>>2. dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/hdb count=1 bs=446
>>   This should copy the bootloader part of the MBR without touching the
>>   partition part.
>
> Sure wish you'd say what bootloader you're using.

Grub. I've since learned that grub requires more than just the MBR, so
I'll try again copying the entire first track.

> I wonder why hdb2 isn't swap, but it hardly matters.

I was surprised too, but decided it's not important.

> (FYI, if it was an IBM-DOS-type MBR with no such flag set, you'll get
> some kind of error; maybe that one.  But, AFAIK, only the IBM-DOS-type
> MBR reads that bit, and you probably don't have that.)

Correct.

> That message sure looks like it's from the BIOS.  I supposed there's
> and outside chance that, with your sneaky scheme there, you've never
> got the last two "magic bytes" of the MBR set, and the BIOS won't like
> that.

Hmmm.... in that case writing the first track might be the solution.
I'll test. I just didn't feel comfortable breaking the partition table
and then trying to fix it. I don't like it when fdisk barfs.

Best,
Daniel.
--
      /\/`) http://opendocumentfellowship.org