Disk images

voger vogernewsletters at yahoo.gr
Thu Apr 13 19:45:45 UTC 2006

rpowersau at gmail.com wrote:
> I dd the MBR onto the new drive first (with the bootloader).
> Then use fdisk to create the partition (only modifies the partition
> tables).
> Then mkfs.ext2 the new partition.
> Tar up the partition I want to copy.
> Untar it onto the new partition.
> Boot.

With lilo there is the -r option that updates the configuration to the
MBR defined by the user.
One of my little experiments is to boot with a custom live cd where i
added the tar.gz file and the install
script and after step 2 and 3 of the above i run install.sh

contents of install.sh:

#!/bin/sh
mount /dev/hda1 /mnt -t ext3
cd /mnt
tar -zxvf /root-hd.tar.gz
lilo -r /mnt

where root-hd.tar.gz is the entire system

I guess there must be a similar option for grub. More info on how to
make that custom minimal live cd or dvd
here http://www.geocities.com/potato.geo/bootlinuxcd.html

I don't think that partitioning the disk can be automated.
Χρησιμοποιείτε Yahoo!;
Βαρεθήκατε τα ενοχλητικά μηνύματα (spam);   Το Yahoo! Mail διαθέτει την καλύτερη δυνατή προστασία κατά των ενοχλητικών μηνυμάτων
http://mail.yahoo.gr