To auto-login or to not auto-login?

Carroll Grigsby cgrigs at earthlink.net
Thu Apr 13 16:09:25 UTC 2006

Derek Broughton wrote:
> Lutzer wrote:
>

>>Why is the GDM theme with clickable pictures not the default one?
>

> I would assume because it's inherently insecure.  It's a mid-way step
> between a normal login, requiring username and password, and an autologin.
>
> So you have to draw the line between usability and security somewhere :-)

I have a backup box with Mandrake 10.1 on it that is sometimes used by
my 6 year old grandson, Will. He logs in by clicking on a cartoon (one
that *he* chose, and then he must enter a simple password. (Given his
almost non-existent keyboard skills, the password is not one that would
meet anyone's standards for security, but I'm willing to take the risk.
At least it's marginally better than autologging.) When I first set this
up last summer, Will was so pleased with the coolness of logging in that
he wanted his dad to do the same on the family win98se computer.

Now his 3-1/2 real old sister, Christine, wants access. In her case,
Grampa (me) will handle the password for the next few years.

-- cmg