Solution for OEMs/Gnome

email.listen at googlemail.com email.listen at googlemail.com
Thu Apr 13 15:44:19 UTC 2006

Am Thu, 13. April 2006 15:27 schrieb Murray Cumming:
> On Thu, 2006-04-13 at 14:34 +0200, email.listen at googlemail.com wrote:
> > > It's available as System/Administration/User Profile Editor in Ubuntu
> > > Dapper. I don't know about Breezy.
> >
> > It is far away from what KDE Kiosktool offers and both are far away what
> > other operating systems offer.
>
> Could you be more precise? The GNOME developers repeatedly ask for
> system administrators to tell them what they need.

Have a closer look to Novell Zenworks and you can see what is state of the art
since years and years.

> Maybe you have not seen the Lockdown editor (pessalus) available from
> Edit/Lockdown when you edit a profile.
I have seen it, yes and I tried it....

> > In the moment I would judge only kiosktool to be a usefull tool for
> > desktop configuration.
>
> I did just try kiosktool in Dapper, but couldn't get very far because I
> kept seeing dialogs with this error:
> "
> Could not start process Unable to create io-slave: klauncher said: Error
> I assume I just got unlucky with that.
May be you shiould use a distribution which fully suports KDE and not a
wantobesuportKDE one as ubuntu.

> But as far as I can tell it is much the same as the GNOME lockdown editor
> plus some special dialogs to do the same things that you can do in the
> Sabayon profile editor. The difference is that Sabayon lets you set up the
> profile in the same way that you would as a normal user, by using a nested
> session in a window, instead of forcing you to hunt through a series of
> dialogs and lists of check boxes.
No you're wrong.
You cant edit a gnome desktop to companies needs with sabayon. No way that
user settings, e.g. system -> preferences -> sessions (Sitzungen) will become
part of the predefined desktop profile.

But you can by using KDE and kiosktool to have this in KDE.

> By the way, I believe that the GNOME User Profile Editor (sabayon) handles
> (or is meant to handle) KDE settings as well as GNOME and mozilla/firefox
> settings.

From a companies point of view sabayone is unusable and by this totaly
useless.
This because tools like sabyone are used to _save_ time for administration.
A tool like sabayon witch has not a bit a documentation at all and which wants
the administrator to analyse the source code as documentation will need much
more time than others. By this, time is money as you know, sabayone will
never be accepted in an professional environment in its current state.
And also because of this Gnome will not make it on a companies desktop.

If we would make a shootout about the ease of administration between what we
have in Gnome, KDE and other GNU/Linux tool(sets) and what is state of the
art since nearly a decade in other operation systems like Apple, Netware,
OS/2 and Windows we would only see a storm of laughter when Linux tools will
be presented.

A management will see the ease of tools like ZenWorks and others and the
crunch of standalone and notreadyforuse lousy wantobe admion tools in
GNU/Linux. And you can bet on that they will leave GNU/Linux aside.

But you may show me a Gnome tool which is able to configure a user desktop
from top to bottom, restrict account login behaviour on acl base, defines
different sorts of authentications for diferent users/groups (in a LDAP _and_
NDS _and_ AD) e.g. classical login, login by usinfg Crypto Cards, login using
one way password generators. Not to forget access administration for all
applications on acl base, systemwide for all users and machines.

Don't tell me that there is no need for this. I've been workin with such tools
since years now.

regards,
Thomas