OT: Idiotic language pedantry

Francisco Borges f.borges at rug.nl
Thu Apr 13 13:25:00 UTC 2006

ยป On Thu, Apr 13, 2006 at 01:35PM +0100, Daniel Carrera wrote:

> Francisco Borges wrote:
> >FYI, in the case you didn't notice, this is an *international* list to
> >discuss the Ubuntu system. A huge portion of this list (if not the
> >majority) use english as a *second* language.
>
> It is native speakers who confuse "principle" and "principal" and "then"
> and "than".

I assumed it were native or very competent english speakers there. The
point is the effect of that discussion on the not-so-competent english
speakers reading it.

> >(I *honestly* wonder how many of those involved in that discussion
> >actually has ever substantially used a second language or ever got
> >mocked about not being able to flex a second language as a native
> >speaker does.)
>
> I am a native Spanish speaker. English is my second language. Do you
> speak a second language? Are you a native English speaker?

Yes, I speak a second language, and no, I'm not a native english
speaker. (I'm a native portuguese speaker FWIW).

> >More specifically, my problem with it is that such (pedantic)
> >discussions and comments can only restrain those who speak english as a
> >second language, and are insecure about it, to post and/or take part in
> >this list.
>
> I speak English as a second language. I tell you that it is native
> speakers who usually make those mistakes. It's because of the way you
> learn they learn their language (phonetically) that makes them confuse
> similar-sounding words.

The point is that native speakers are very unlikely to stop participaing
in a list due to that. But *some* (not all) non-native speakers will be
less likely to join discussions, if this person is afraid of being
picked upon because of language nuances.

--
Francisco