Solution for OEMs/Gnome

Chipzz chipzz at ULYSSIS.Org
Thu Apr 13 05:18:54 UTC 2006

On Wed, 12 Apr 2006, Stanislav Brabec wrote:

> Daniel Carrera wrítes:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Thanks to all who gave suggestions. One of the suggestions turns out to
> > work quite well:
> >
> > 1. Configure Gnome just the way I want it.
> > 2. sudo cp ~/.g* /etc/skel
>
> Af least for .gconfd it is a bad idea.
>
> For .gconf you should prefer root's gconf database (but I still see a
> problem, that such customization is overwritten by a subsequent packages
> update, at least with the default gconf path).

It should be pointed out that for debian (and I think also ubuntu, which
is what he is using) this is simply not true. The gnome defaults are
shipped in /usr, not in /etc, and gconf actually uses multiple databases
on debian which allows you to do exactly that: make your own changes
without them being overwritten on subsequent upgrades.

kr,

Chipzz AKA
Jan Van Buggenhout

                 UNIX isn't dead - It just smells funny
                           Chipzz at ULYSSIS.Org
"Baldric, you wouldn't recognize a subtle plan if it painted itself pur-
 ple and danced naked on a harpsicord singing 'subtle plans are here a-
 gain'."