remote administration

Craig Hagerman craighagerman at gmail.com
Thu Apr 13 06:32:31 UTC 2006

On 4/13/06, Duncan Lithgow <dlithgow at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've just about finished setting up a computer with Ubuntu Breezy for
> some friends. This is the first computer they've had to use, so I'm
> expecting it'll be hard going for them.
>
> I need something I can install so I can log into their machine from
> mine and do any administrator tasks we can't work out over the phone.
> Could someone tell me what to use? I'm new to this part of Ubuntu.
>
> Duncan

I do this all the time with a machine at my parent's house. I use ssh
to log in via the command line for most stuff (updating/ upgrading,
checking log files etc). You just have to make sure that the ssh
daemon (sshd) is running on the server and any router/ firewall is set
to allow / forward the relevant port (default 22).

If you want to actually see the desktop and manipulate things as if
you were there turn on the VPN server built into Ubuntu. (I think you
find it under System > Preferences  > Remote Desktop. Click on "allow
others to view desktop" and "allow others to control desktop". Also
click "require  the user to enter this password" and chose a good
password for yourself. DON'T click the one about requiring
confirmation. (This means your friends will have to be sitting at the
computer and OK your VNC session.)

System > Administration > Login Window

I use VNCviewer as a client on my mac, and tightVNC as a client on a
Linux or Windows machine. There WILL BE a lag. You move the mouse and
it jerks over to where you want it after a short lag. I find it
acceptable for what I need to do though.

You can also do something called X11 forwarding, but I think either
ssh command line or VNC would be easier. With X11forwarding you have
to edit the ssh config file (mine is at /etc/ssh/sshd_config). Do a
google search for "X11 Forwarding using ssh" for more information.

Finally, I would recommend that you install webmin on the computer in
question. As long as it is running apache this will work very well as
way to remotely administer the machine. You don't have to use command
line options as with ssh, and you don't have to deal with the lag (or
freaking out your friends by taking over the desktop) as with VNC.
Install and set up apache (or apache2), then install the latest
version of webmin (www.webmin.com) and set that up with a good
password. As another poster mentioend you can get a domain name from
dyndns.com or another such organization so that you can use a domain
name for a dynamic IP address.

Log in to webmin on your friend's machine at
https://<servername>:10000 Note it is secure - https NOT http) and
then add in some 3rd party modules relevant to what you want to
control. Go to Webmin > Webmin Configuration > Webmin Modules. Select,
then click on little elipse (...) beside "standard modules from
www.webmin.com". This pops up a windows with a long list of modules.
You can read about them at webmin.com if they aren't obvious. You can
install TONS of modules that allow you to remotely administer almost
anything via a simple, quick-loading web page.

Hope this helps,

Craig