how to write korean?

Mait ulist at gs1.ubuntuforums.org
Thu Apr 13 04:10:44 UTC 2006

Hi Andreas,

scim-hangul, im-switch can help you input korean.

Code:
--------------------
    $ sudo apt-get install scim-hangul im-switch

  $ im-switch -z ko_KR -l

  xinput-ko_KR - status is auto.

  link currently points to scim-hangul

  scim-hangul - priority 45

  scim-hangul_xim - priority 40

  Current `best' version is scim-hangul.

  $ im-switch -s scim-hangul      # then relogin KDE
--------------------

Default key trigger for scim im switching is Ctrl+Space - Korean
keyboard has dedicated change key at right side of space key(Hangul
key). Shift+Space also prefered style.

Other choice available, nabi(xim, gtk-immodule),
imhangul(gtk-immodule).

You should want install korean fonts. ttf-baekmuk, ttf-unfonts,
ttf-alee

Unfortunately, any im doesn't support transcript rule input both
windows and linux, as I know.

scim-hangul support several keyboard layout. 2bul and some 3bul style.
2bul is national standard. Many korean use 2bul style.

Basically, korean use Engilish(US) keyboard layout. You try with korean
character printed keyboard(If available around you) or hard training
with this, :cool:

http://tinyurl.com/py33s

(Download image and print! :mrgreen: )

Dubeolsik - Du(two) beol(in scim, bul) sik(it mean style, method).

Regards,

Mait

Andreas Jellinghaus Wrote:
> Hi,

> I'm using (k)ubuntu dapper and got scim/skim setup and working.

> However I'm new to korean (learning the first few simple sentences)

> and I wonder how to input it. Scim/skim has about a dozend different

> input methods. Can anyone point me to some howto/faq/documentation

> on how they work or suggest one?

> as far as I understand there are several differnt

> methods to write korean with western characters, and thus I guess

> also different methods for entering it with a western keyboard.

> the book I use for learning teaches me the transcription rules for

> korean from the ministry of culture and tourism of (south) korea

> published in 2000. an input method that can work with this type

> of transcription would be prefered.

> thanks for your help.

> Regards, Andreas

Mait