Voice recognition software

Brian Astill bastill at adam.com.au
Wed Apr 12 23:04:43 UTC 2006

On Thu, 13 Apr 2006 04:16 am, da5id wrote:
> What I would like to know with what happened to IBM ViaVoice.
>  The last I heard was that IBM ported it to Linux and was
> working with the open-source community to work out the bugs.
>  IBM sunk a lot of money into speech recognition only to end up
> as an also-ran.  But still, it would be better than nothing for
> Linux.  -- Gene

It's frustrating.  IBM has continued some development of speech
recognition,  but only for large commercial use and that isn't
operating yet, anyway, SFAIK.

Dog-in-the-manger IBM retained the copyright to ViaVoice and
denies access to the files on their site so that strictly
speaking you and I would be infringing copyright if we found a
copy of ViaVoice from elsewhere, and used it.

Nevertheless, an enquiry on the x-voice users list (to subscribe,
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/xvoice-user ) can
bring helpful results.

Doug Laidlaw, on that list, has X-Voice (which is a front end for
ViaVoice) working on Ubuntu.

--
Regards,
Brian