How do I stop bruteforce SSH login attempt?

email.listen at googlemail.com email.listen at googlemail.com
Wed Apr 12 22:53:23 UTC 2006

Am Wed, 12. April 2006 23:23 schrieb Soo-Hyun Choi:
> Thanks for your professional view on this matter, and I totally agree
> with you in that "everything not explicitly permitted is forbidden".
Hhhm, it depends on, I would say...

If it is a network folowing high security standards, even in a local net, I
would agree following this directive.

But if it is a network which is separated from the outside world it may bar
one from doing the all days work more than it will bring a benefit in
security.

Thats why it is not a trivial thing doing a security audit for a companiy or
organisation network.

> And you have suggested to read some security literature in order to
> get started. If I ask some detailed reference, what would you like to
> say about it?
Pardon me if I'm not voting pro or contra certain books.
Due to my experience people tend to judge the quality of books in a wide
range. What might be a good book for me to cover my needs has not to be a
book you would like. I'm not speaking of a level or quality, it's just a
matter of taste. In the past I was often told, 'This book is a mus have' and
in the end I don't like it at all.

But I may list some publishers which are known to have well done books:
O'Reilly publishers, http://www.oreilly.com/
Prentice-Hall publishers, http://vig.prenhall.com/
Sams Publishers, http://www.samspublishing.com/

And not to forget your favourite library next to you...

> You also mentioned to form a group of people to study some security
> stuffs, but where can I find those interested groups to join? If
> you're running one, I would be happy to discuss with you.

As said we started at the university decades ago. So for this it was good
beeing a student... :)

But you may ask your local Linux User Group, I would think that security is
interesting for them too, at least for some of them. And I always vote for
joining a Linux User Group, not only for having the anual barbeque in
summer... :)

It depends on your local situation, is there a university next to you or a
Linux User Group, a school (college or highschool, a school with a lot of
students), an organisation offering (adult) evening classes, ...
Not to forget it will help a lot if you are good in making friends. :))

The point is to find people who would like to share the same hobby or
preferences. As I said it has a bit a sportive nature / character. So if you
would ask yourself, 'How will I find others interested in starting a sports
club', that will bring you forwards. Just change the term 'sports club'
by 'GNU/Linux and Free Software enthusiasts'.

regards,
Thomas