remote administration

email.listen at googlemail.com email.listen at googlemail.com
Wed Apr 12 21:13:55 UTC 2006

Am Wed, 12. April 2006 22:53 schrieb Duncan Lithgow:
> I've just about finished setting up a computer with Ubuntu Breezy for
> some friends. This is the first computer they've had to use, so I'm
> expecting it'll be hard going for them.
>
> I need something I can install so I can log into their machine from
> mine and do any administrator tasks we can't work out over the phone.
> Could someone tell me what to use? I'm new to this part of Ubuntu.

If both of you have a DSL line running nomachine/NX is a very comfortable way
for this.
Nomachine/NX allows a X-Window session even if it is a small bandwith. You
will get a full featured X-Session, even audio will work.

You will find nomachine packets at the kanotix site:
Add this to your /etc/apt/sources.list file or pu it into a file
called /etc/apt/sources.list.d/kanotix.list

deb http://kanotix.com/files/debian/ unstable main non-free contrib fix

You should deactivate this line after you installed nomachine to avoid packets
others than these get installed during the next 'apt-get upgrade'.

regards,
Thomas