Disk images with dd

Daniel Carrera daniel.carrera at zmsl.com
Wed Apr 12 17:02:38 UTC 2006

Antony Gelberg wrote:
> Indeed.  You have made a partiton image by the way, not a disk image.
> dd is not necessarily the best tool for this.

I could also make a disk image. I don't know if it would work though.

> systemimager.  You might like it.

I don't know if I can make SystemImager work with the Ubuntu OEM
install. Remmeber how the OEM install works:

1. The OEM (ie. me) installs the system, gets an 'oem' password and
finishes whatever other configuration he wants.
2. The OEM shuts the coputer.
3. When the computer boots next, it should be on the user's desk. It
asks the user for a username and password and disables the oem account.

The right time to make the disk image is between (2) and (3). For this I
need to boot using a rescue disk or a LiveCD. Then I was thinking of
running dd to make a backup of /dev/hda. I worry that SystemImger might
not do what I want here. From the documentation it looks like it will
make an image of the system that the client is running in (ie. the LiveCD).

I'll take a closer look, but I think that it can't do what I need.

Best,
Daniel.
--
      /\/`) http://opendocumentfellowship.org