Solution for OEMs/Gnome

Daniel Carrera daniel.carrera at zmsl.com
Wed Apr 12 14:09:33 UTC 2006

Stanislav Brabec wrote:
> They are: /apps/panel/default_setup/applets and /apps/panel/applets.

I see it. I also see /apps/panel/default_setup/objects. But I don't see
a way to change what's there. Adding an icon means adding a new object
and I can't see a way to do that from gconf-editor. Also, if I add an
icon to my panel, it won't show up on Gconf.

Gconf seems like an incredibly complicated way of adding an icon. And it
doesn't seem to work at all. There is no connection between what I see
on gconf-editor and the icons I see on my desktop.

> As I wrote before, this file is really hard to understand and there is
> no GUI for it (at least jus now). But at least here in SuSE we were able
> to change the default panel by editing
> $sysconfdir/gconf/schemas/panel-default-setup.entries.

Indeed, this file is not clear at all. And it looks unduly complicated
for just a panel. I don't think I'll fiddle with it, I'll probably break it.

> You can take a help from user account with properly reconfigured panel.

Except that I don't understand the contents of ~/.gconf

It seems easier to just cp ~/.gconf ~/.gnome2 /etc/skel/

> - Edit .schemas or .entries in installed environment and use gconftool
> after setup.

If you are talking about .../gconf/schemas/panel-default-setup.entries
then I have no idea how to edit it.

> - Use gconf-editor as root and set values.

Doesn't give me the option to add an icon.

> - Change GConf path and use custom .schemas or .entries and use
> gconftool after setup.

Still don't know how to edit .entries or .schemas. Like you said, they
aren't exactly straight forward.

> - Change GConf path and use separate GConf database

No use unless I can generate a separate GConf database.

> But as I wrote before, for panel all these ways are very unintuitive.

You could say that :)

>>How do I do that though? I don't want to login to X as root, and
>>gconf-editor doesn't seem to give me any options for adding an icon to
>>the panel.
>
> gnomesu gconf-editor

gconf-editor doesn't have any method for adding a new icon. All it can
do is change values of existing icons. And even that is doubtful because
it is showing some icons which are nowhere on my panel.

Best,
Daniel.
--
      /\/`) http://opendocumentfellowship.org