686 kernel wastes CPU power

Michael V. De Palatis mdepalatis at mail.utexas.edu
Wed Apr 12 13:03:30 UTC 2006

Matt,

Odd. I assume that you tried restarting with the 686 kernel? Every
once in a while, however rare, restarting fixes things in Linux. It is
almost never the case that it will really do the trick though, as
Linux is almost never as finicky as some other operating systems...

But really, I have no idea what would do this. Just for kicks, you
could try compiling the kernel yourself and see if that changes
anything? There shouldn't be any major differences in the kernels
other than what CPU they are compiled for.

Sorry I can't offer up any better reasons or suggestions.

Mike