Problems with OEM installation

Daniel Carrera daniel.carrera at zmsl.com
Wed Apr 12 09:16:59 UTC 2006

Antony Gelberg wrote:
> I haven't tried an OEM install myself, but if you can get a shell with
> Alt-F2, you might be able to chroot to the target installation and run
> passwd, at the very end of the install.

The OEM install actually creates a temporary sudoer account called 'oem'
which you can use to run updates, install new software and make
configurations. I guess that I /could/ enable the root account. I have
mixed feelings about that though.

> I think that this highlights that you are slightly trying to fit a round
> peg into a square hole.  Generally, in the OEM world, the end-user is
> the admin as well.

Yes. I think that it would be most unusual for an OEM to also admin. And
really, the main reason why I'd like to admin is to upgrade him to
Dapper when it comes out.

Maybe I should just leave him with Breezy.

Best,
Daniel.
--
      /\/`) http://opendocumentfellowship.org