Hibernation support gone

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Wed Apr 12 01:14:26 UTC 2006

Michael V. De Palatis wrote:

> One quick question: How long have you had Ubuntu installed? I noticed
> that with my Inspiron 6000, hibernation works erratically at best if
> not using suspend2 hibernation. That is, sometimes it works, sometimes
> it doesn't, but it doesn't work more often than it does.

I think you'll find that's strictly because of the size of your swap and the
amount of memory you're typically using.  iirc, suspend2 is much more
agressive about removing unnecessary pages before saving - making the
hibernation process both faster and smaller.  I run an oracle database on
my laptop.  If I've got any kind of large program in use, I can't
hibernate, but if I shut down the database first, no problem.
--
derek