making deborphan obsolete?

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Wed Apr 12 00:59:04 UTC 2006

Mario Vukelic wrote:

> On Tue, 2006-04-11 at 22:31 +0200, Lutzer wrote:
>> But I'm not sure about the purpose of Aptitude. Is it a
>> replacement for apt-get/cache or is the goal to provide a terminal
>> based frontend to compete with e.g. Synaptic?
>
> This is a misconception furthered by the fact that apt-get has been
> around for a long time, and alternatives took some time to be developed.

Where's the misconception?  _Everything_ I've read says that aptitude is
supposed to replace apt-get.

> Apt-get never was intended to be used by users in the first place; it
> was always the plan to provide friendlier tools. This is the first
> section of the apt-get manpage:

I'm not buying that.

> DESCRIPTION
> apt-get is the command-line tool for handling packages, and may be
> considered the  user?s  "back-end"  to  other  tools  using  the  APT
> library.  Several "front-end" interfaces exist, such as dselect(8),
> aptitude,

dselect was _never_ friendlier :-)  This is a man page that has been written
after the fact (witness the fact that it even references aptitude).
apt-get is, after all, a front-end itself to dpkg, and I don't think
aptitude _does_ use apt-get.
--
derek