Problems with OEM installation

David Woyciesjes woyciesjes at sbcglobal.net
Wed Apr 12 00:08:50 UTC 2006

Daniel Carrera wrote:
> Mario Vukelic wrote:
>
>> Why not create another account with admin rights?
>

> I can't really:
>
> * If I create the account /before/ shipping, when the user boots the
> computer for the first time he won't be asked to create an account,
> which misses the whole point of doing an OEM install.
>
> * I can't create it /after/ shipping because then the computer is at the
> user's desk. I don't want to walk him through 'useradd' or ask him for
> his password. Either of those would miss the point of this exercise.
>
> BTW: The point of the exercise is to study the suitability of OEM
> machines with Ubuntu Linux pre-installed. We have a non-technical
> customer interested in a Linux pre-installed computer so we'll use him
> as a test case.

	Well, after reading the mail about this, here's my 2 bits...
1 - You've got the setup config you want, and it works by copying it to
/etc/skel. Copy that skel folder to a USB drive. Keep in mind the
2 - Do the OEM install setup. Configure it so that is does ask for the
username and password as normal.
3 - Boot that system from a LiveCD, and copy the skel folder from your
USB drive to the hard drive of the fresh installed computer.
4 - Test it out.

If that works, I personally would consider making an image of that
setup. That way you don't have to spend time running the install CD for
each new customer...

--
--- Dave Woyciesjes
--- ICQ# 905818