Is a restart REALLY required after an upgrade?

localzuk ulist at gs1.ubuntuforums.org
Tue Apr 11 22:56:59 UTC 2006

> Each package would stop/start/restart its' daemon in the pre/post
> install

> script. That is taken care of for you. That is not why you have to
> reboot..

As mentioned by another user, this depends on the package. Some
packages aren't this thorough and manual restaring of daemons is
needed.

I believe that one of the main things this is done for is due to this
distro not, primarily, being aimed at the 'always on computer' market
(servers, geeks etc...) but instead at the home user market - and this
market wants things to 'just work' and the simplest way to ensure this
is to restart after an update (I know it is a very MS Windows way of
thinking but it seems to work quite well in my experience).

--
localzuk