Hibernation support gone

mrwolff mrwolff at bigred.unl.edu
Tue Apr 11 19:38:54 UTC 2006

I had hibernation working for my dell inspiron 6000 out of the box,
however, after reading a forum post I uninstalled laptop-mode and
installed laptop-mode-tools.  The problem is that I have now lost
hibernation support so I removed the laptop-mode-tools and put the
original laptop-mode package back.  I still, however, don't have
hibernation support back.  Any ideas at all?  I've been trying to get
this working for a while but it seems that there is nobody who is really
fully knowledgeable about hibernation with Ubuntu.  Only people who have
gotten it to work for their particular laptop.  What packages are the
ones responsible for hibernation?  How do I get the menu back on my
Logout menu?

Any ideas at  all?  I've looked everywhere and  have in the past even
tried the mailing list with no success.  I think the worst part about
this is that I know support does work for my laptop since I did have
it.  I really wish I could just have it back but I fear a full reinstall
is the only way which is a crappy way.

What's the manual command to hibernate?  Maybe the menu item just isn't
listed on the gnome logout menu?  Is the Hibernate command that I see
all over the same method of hibernation that Ubuntu installs by default?