Gnome is a problem for OEMs

Antony Gelberg antony at wayforth.co.uk
Tue Apr 11 18:39:21 UTC 2006

Vincent Trouilliez wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-04-11 at 17:37 +0100, Antony Gelberg wrote:
>
>>>I don't know if that would work, but the defaults used for new users
>>>might be simply whatever root uses.
>>
>>Why would that be the case?  It's just nonsensical.
>

> Cool, what idea do you have that would make more sense then ?
> The OP would am sure love to hear from you...

I have already replied to the OP with my thoughts.  Not that it matters.
   Is a spurious answer that is possibly harmful and has no basis in
reality, better than no answer?  It's not your system that gets hosed.

>>>So maybe you can try setting up a root account, log into Gnome as root,
>>>do whatever changes you need, then disable the root account, and perhaps
>>>all subsequent users will use this settings ?
>>
>>Can hurt.  You're telling him to log in to X as root.
>

> Of course, thanks for reminding me.
> But in this case it seemed tolerable, if not the only way to achieve the
> goal, practically.

Why?  It has nothing to do with the goal.

> Again, if you have a better and easier way to setup root's Gnome
> configuration, panel, launchers, background what have you, I ma sure the
> OP will be interested.

I don't, but what does setting root's settings have to do with his problem.

> Please stop jumping on me for the pleasure of it, I do find you very
> offensive for no apparent reason, as well as not very productive/helpful
> to the OP.

It's not for the pleasure of it.  I'm trying to stop him hosing his box.

> --
> Vince, who will refrain from posting from now on, too risky.

Oh, please.  FYI a signature separator is dash dash space.  Aware
clients will snip it off as appropriate.