Gnome is a problem for OEMs

Daniel Carrera daniel.carrera at zmsl.com
Tue Apr 11 16:54:09 UTC 2006

Antony Gelberg wrote:
> Have you asked on the Gnome users mailing list?

Yes. I got some replies now after sending a copy of the email I just
sent here.

> on *his* own

Actually, there is a long history of using "their" as a singular neutral
gender pronoun, and the use of it is increasing. This isn't the first
time that a plural pronoun migrates to singular ("you"). At best, you'll
get split opinions among technical writers. So the use of "their" is not
a mistake per se but a conscious choice.

>>At this rate, I have serious doubts about Linux or Ubuntu being "ready
>>for the desktop". I work for a very pro-FOSS OEM. We contribute heavily
>>to open source projects.
>
> Perhaps you could find resources to implement this functionality?

I contribute documentation mostly, that's what I'm best at. My employer
acts as the open source contact for the UK agency in charge of IT policy
in elementary and primary schools. We are also involved in the
OpenDocument format (I am a member of the OASIS OpenDocument Technical
Committee). However, we don't have a coder on board that can add this
functionality.

> Perhaps you should take your issues up with the Gnome developers.
> http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-devel-list/
>
> If you find out how to do this, I hope you investigate installer
> pre-seeding if you haven't already.

A command-line installer is something I *might* be able to do. I can't
really code in C (not at the Gnome level) but I can write a Perl script.
This will, of course, depend on what the solution to my problem is.

Best,
Daniel.
--
      /\/`) http://opendocumentfellowship.org