Is a restart REALLY required after an upgrade?

Craig Hagerman craighagerman at gmail.com
Tue Apr 11 16:08:40 UTC 2006

Hi,

I am using Dapper Drake. I have been running apt-get update and
apt-get dist-upgrade once a week or so to make sure everything is up
to date. There is a new icon in Dapper in that says "restart
required". If you mouse over it it tells you that some security
updates won't be effective until you restart.

What is up with this. I have another machine running debian unstable.
It has been up for months, through many upgrades with no need to
restart. I was under the impression that *nix systems didn't need to
be restarted unless you wanted to switch to using a newer kernel. Can
someone tell me - do I REALLY have to restart the machine after an
upgrade? and if so why?

Craig