Gnome is a problem for OEMs

Daniel Carrera daniel.carrera at zmsl.com
Tue Apr 11 15:56:12 UTC 2006

Hello,

I've spent all afternoon trying to figure out how I, as an OEM, can
configure Gnome before giving it to a user. I just want to change some
icons on the panel and maybe a menu entry.

After exhaustive search, I can only conclude that there is no way to do
this. You are stuck with what the Gnome developers think everyone in the
world needs. You can't even add a new icon to the default panel. Every
user must learn how to locate software on their own and add icons on
their own, and if they don't like it, they can go use Windows.

At this rate, I have serious doubts about Linux or Ubuntu being "ready
for the desktop". I work for a very pro-FOSS OEM. We contribute heavily
to open source projects. We are *trying* our darn best to give Ubuntu
desktops to our customers. But Ubuntu/Gnome just don't give us any way
to offer even the tiniest bit of configuration. So we'll have to keep
selling Windows computers instead.

The problem is not that Microsoft has a deal with us to block Linux,
they don't. It's not that we don't know Linux, I've been using
exclusively for 8 years. The first computer I owned ran Slackware Linux.
The problem is that Gnome just doesn't give us any way to make any
adaptations, no matter how small. The problem is that the damm thing
just wasn't designed with an OEM in mind.

Daniel.
--
      /\/`) http://opendocumentfellowship.org
     /\/_/