Missing X manpage [Was Re: HTML document as wallpaper on gnome]

Michael V. De Palatis mdepalatis at mail.utexas.edu
Mon Apr 10 20:36:21 UTC 2006

On Mon, Apr 10, 2006 at 12:05:30PM -0700, Gary W. Swearingen wrote:
> > Try 'man XOrg'.
>
> I had tried "man Xorg". Even "man -k X11", which _should_ have found
> it.  Trying one more....
>
>     $ man XOrg
>     No manual entry for XOrg
>
> I find nothing appropriate with this, either:
>
>     locate -r "man./x.*gz"
>
> I've just looked in "adept" for an X*doc* package and find none.

I did some research and discovered apt-file. It lets you search for
particular files. According to its output, the manpage is *supposed*
to be located here in xserver-xorg-core:

mvd at garnet:~$ apt-file search Xorg.
xserver-xorg-core: usr/X11R6/man/man1/Xorg.1x.gz

So honestly, I'm not sure why you don't seem to have it. Very odd.

Mike