upgrade vs dist-upgrade

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Mon Apr 10 19:56:46 UTC 2006

Daniel Carrera wrote:

> "If I have package A and it's replaced by A, doing a dist-upgrade will
> remove A and install B but doing an upgrade will leave it intact".

I confess I'm not sure about this example.  I don't _think_ either
dist-upgrade or upgrade will replace A with B, because there isn't a new
version of A involved.  The usual procedure would be to replace package
A_1.0 with a virtual package A_1.1, which has a dependency on B.  Then the
dist-upgrade would install B.

> At least, that's what how I interpret the man page.
>
> Another scenario where there's a difference: I have package A installed.
> The next version of package A has a new dependency (package B) which is
> not currently installed in my system. An upgrade will not upgrade my
> current package A. A dist-upgrade will install B and then upgrade A.

Exactly.
--
derek