trying to make printer work...

Florian Diesch diesch at spamfence.net
Mon Apr 10 18:04:29 UTC 2006

ana <ana_m at onetel.com> wrote:

> I also went to the page indicated, again with some one else helping...
>
> I went to http://localhost:631
>
> which is the cups configuration system. I went to the printers tab and
> clicked on "add printer". My hp 400 was already there, but it does not
> work and no one knows what to fix so i just start off adding one from
> scratch.
>
> "add printer"
>
> It asks for a name and password on cups
>
> My usual user name does not work, nor does sudo nor root

The user has to be a member of the group lpadmin (something like
"Printer Administration" in the GUI [I don't have English locales])

> There is a line with the words "User root", roughly in line 370. It
> needs to be 'decommented'? I e i need to take out the "#" at the
> beginning of the line (the lines that start with a # are comments).

No, you don't need to modify this. As the comment says this is the user
the server runs under.

> I could not find those words so i looked for #User cupsys and #Group
> lpadmin. I took the # from User cupsys and replaced the word "cupsys"
> with "root". saved and closed.

Change it back to the default

> I enter with root as user name and the new password on that page on my
> browswer, which says as a welcome: "Printer DeskJet-400 has been
> configured successfully."
>
> I then try to print a page from gedit. IN the printer dialogue box it
> says "printer stopped". I go back to the browsers page. In the section
> "printer", i click on stop printer, then start printer. the screen says:

> Location:
> Printer State: stopped, accepting jobs.
> "Unable to open parallel port device file "/dev/lp0": Permission denied"
> Device URI: parallel:/dev/lp0
>
> (which copied- pasted here it looks a bit grim but on the browser, it
> comes with coloured letters and background pictures, very pretty, the
> whole page)
>
> The interpretation of this is that it can not open the paralell port.
>
> I try by changing the permission: sudo chmod a+rw /dev/lp0

What are the permission right now? It has to be writable for user cupsys

What's happening if you do something like (maybe use another file
instead  of passwd)
  cat /etc/passwd > /dev/lp0

> and i reboot the printer. I send another page to be printed and the same
> message about the printer stopped comes up again.
>
> Thanks again...

Have a look at the logfile (/var/log/cups/error_log). Maybe change
LogLevel in /etc/cups/cupsd.conf to "debug" or even "debug2"

   Florian
--
Emacs hat den weiten Weg von "krank, nur krank" bis "komisch" hinter sich.
[David Kastrup in <853bgop2tc.fsf at lola.goethe.zz>]