Question about 'aptitude'

Daniel Carrera daniel.carrera at zmsl.com
Mon Apr 10 13:12:05 UTC 2006

Mario Vukelic wrote:
>>Aptitude is very smart. It will track, for example, which packages you
>>install manually, and which are just pulled in because some other
>>package depends on them.

Even if those packages were installed with apt-get? That's what happened
with Mozilla and OpenOffice. In this instance, aptitude was correct in
saying that they were unused. But I don't know how it could know that
because this is the first time I run aptitude.

> I forgot: if you switch to aptitude after using another package manager,
> it can sometimes take a while until it stops getting it wrong and
> wanting to remove stuff you -do- want.
>
> If you are sure you want a package aptitude asks to remove, do an
> "aptitude install package", it will remember that.

Okay, thanks for the tip.

 From what you say, I understand that aptitude has a way of guessing
which packages are not used even when they were installed using apt-get,
but that guess is not always correct. Right?

Best,
Daniel.
--
      /\/`) http://opendocumentfellowship.org