Home as Dektop in Gnome

Michael V. De Palatis mdepalatis at mail.utexas.edu
Mon Apr 10 13:02:00 UTC 2006

On Mon, Apr 10, 2006 at 01:54:26PM +0100, tombeharrell wrote:
> I think it'd be good if it defaulted to using the home directory for
> the desktop with an option to change it back from "Change desktop
> background" dialog?

I don't know how good an idea this would be, actually. The problem is,
I don't know that new users would really know what that dialog
meant...

While in principle, Home as Desktop is Good (TM), it's not for
everyone. I hate desktop icons, and try to minimize that, so I prefer
just to use ~/Desktop. Also, users who have switched from another OS
(which shall remain nameless) already have their desktop separated
from their "main" directory, so they're pretty used to it.

I wouldn't be opposed to having a general option that makes it easier
to switch, however. I just don't know if having Home as Desktop as
default is a good idea.

Mike