kde install broke login screen manager

Peter Garrett peter.garrett at optusnet.com.au
Mon Apr 10 09:12:45 UTC 2006

On Mon, 10 Apr 2006 01:21:10 -0700
Michael <mepolite at gmail.com> wrote:

> I restarted X and was able to choose KDE from the Sessions menu and log in
> normally. Logging out presented my normal login screen.

I'm not quite clear as to whether you selected "gdm" or "kdm" as your
login screen ( "display manager") I assume you selected "kdm"...

> After booting into
> WXP to handle some quick video re-encoding business, and rebooting into
> Ubuntu I was presented with the Kubuntu login screen.

Looks like you have kdm then...

>  Logging in however
> took me to my standard GNOME desktop. System > Admin* > Login Screen Setup
> hangs and then goes away.

Right - that config utility applies to gdm (gnome's login manager), not
kdm:
- and from your description it sounds like you selected kdm when you
installed kubuntu-desktop. Thus the config utility in gnome is not going to
"work"
- it has no *dm to configure. ( Well, gdm is probably still in your cache,
so you could reinstall it, if you prefer it to kdm )

If you want to configure "kdm" I would suggest you type

kcontrol

in your terminal, and look for System Administration -> Login Manager

> I'm sure the problems are deeper, but I'd like to
> remove my KDE dependency if possible.
>
> I've tried
> sudo apt-get removel kubuntu-desktop
> but no joy.

"kubuntu-desktop" is a metapackage ( a list of dependencies, if you like )
- thus removing it does not remove KDE . You don't actually need to remove
KDE/Kubuntu unless you really want that - just choose whichever session you
are in the mood for from the login screen sessions. :-)

Peter

--

Linux User #343161