External display for (NEC Versa P8100) laptop

Erik Christiansen erik at dd.nec.com.au
Mon Apr 10 05:01:05 UTC 2006

On Mon, Apr 10, 2006 at 05:29:17AM +0200, Pupeno wrote:
> I believe each laptop may have a different way to achieve it. For mine I
> have to run a particular program that controls this particular video
> card. I would recommend you to look for a howto on your particular model
> of laptop, that might have the data you need (that's where I've found
> mine).

Oh-oh, that's not what I'd hoped to hear. The googleverse has a dearth
of info on the NEC Versa P8100 and external display.

Still, if ubuntu doesn't use XFree86, then it'd be very interesting to find
some information on what it does use, and where to set high level parameters
such as resolution and refresh rate.

Mind you, the laptop wide screen is great for two stacks of xterms, side
by side. The aspect ration of the external display is more like 4:3, so
the stacks would have to overlap. (It's easy enough to script the xterm
placement differently, depending on display selection, once I find out
how that works.)

Erik