Status of Dapper?

Alan McKinnon alan at linuxholdings.co.za
Sun Apr 9 22:42:21 UTC 2006

On Sunday 09 April 2006 23:53, Daniel Carrera wrote:
> Antony Gelberg wrote:
> > You could use aptitude rather than apt-get.  You could do it over
> > ssh.
>
> I'm not going to reconfigure the X server over ssh.

Why not? It's just another userspace program. If the new config
doesn't work, replace the backup xorg.conf

> And I'm not
> going to reboot the computer from ssh. I need to be physically at
> the computer.

The risks aren't that great. If the update breaks stuff, you'll know
about it before the reboot. Except init scripts - they can and do
cause problems sometimes, especially firewalls, so it's a good idea
to examine those changes first before rebooting

> Besides, how can I ssh to a regular user's machine? They don't get
> static internet-facing IPs.

Is there an on-site gateway/firewall machine with a public IP? Then
ssh to that machine and from there ssh again to the user's machine.

You can even tunnel X this way

--
Alan McKinnon
alan at linuxholdings dot co dot za