Dapper Flight upgrade

Mario Vukelic mario.vukelic at dantian.org
Sun Apr 9 17:43:50 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-04-09 at 17:22 +0100, Keith Powell wrote:
> Also, please
> could Brian or Mario tell me how to get my Dapper Flight5 disk
> recognised, for their upgrade suggestion.

Hi Keith,

since I never went this route before (I always upgrade by changing
sources.list and running aptitude dist-upgrade), I have read and adapted
a bit the upgrade notes for Breezy.
(https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BreezyUpgradeNotes)

Minor things like option locations or some such might be wrong - I can't
check since I don't have Breezy available anymore.

*** Pre-upgrade **
1. Disable all unofficial repositories, either manually by
editing /etc/apt/sources.list, or in Synaptic > Settings > Repositories.
Reload the package lists.
2. Resolve conflicting packages, if any.
3. Check that "ubuntu-desktop", "kubuntu-desktop", or "edubuntu-desktop"
is installed (depending on which distro you use)

*** Upgrade with CD ***
1. Put Dapper CD in drive
2. Synaptic > Settings > Preferences: check that the the setting for
"System upgrade" is "Smart upgrade"
3. Synaptic > Settings > Repositories: Click on "Add CD-ROM"
4. Synaptic: Reload package lists
5. Synaptic: Click on "Mark All Upgrades"
6. Synaptic: Click on "Apply"
7. If applications that you know you want are removed, let them. Note
their names and add them again later

*** Post upgrade ***
1. Reboot
2. If gdm should not start the login screen, log into a terminal and run
"sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg" to reconfigure it
4. Synaptic > Settings > Repositories: (i) change all online
repositories from Breezy to Dapper, (ii) reenable your unofficial
repositories, possibly adapting them to Dapper
5. Reload package lists, Mark All Upgrades, Apply
6. Reinstall packages that possible were removed during the upgrade

Ask if there is a problem.
Mario