OT: USENET and cryptography (was: "annoying" inline gpg signatures)

Reinhard Tartler siretart at tauware.de
Sun Apr 9 10:28:10 UTC 2006

Kenneth P. Turvey wrote:
> What
> we really need is an update of the USENET protocols.  There are a number
> of problems with NNTP that could be addressed using cryptography.

I think that if existing newreaders would finally support MIME, the
world could be a lot better.

Unfortunately, the development of newsreaders has stalled in the past.
I love slrn, but the development stalled.

> We could have a relatively spam free USENET with working cancels and
> supersedes, and a common set of procedures for creating and removing
> groups, authenticating users and so on.

Yes, if they would be used consistently, usenet would be the ideal place
to discuss. Unfortunately, it is not used consistently, and a common
cause for off-topic chatter like this subthread.

> Unfortunately, getting this all to work and be adopted would be nearly
> impossible due to the resistance of current USENET users.

I don't think that users are resistant. I think it is more a problem
that the current newsreaders and MUA aren't integrated well, and their
interface to the user is horrible, which makes USENET very unattractive
to lots of users.

Greetings,
	Reinhard