Other Distros (NOT A FLAMEWAR TOPIC!!)

Kim Briggs patiodragon at gmail.com
Sun Apr 9 05:21:30 UTC 2006

On 4/8/06, Chris Peterman <kyral at ubuntu.com> wrote:

> Before you all go and bash me for the subject line, read the email at
> least :D
>
> Okay, presumably we all love X/K/Ubuntu, but we must have also tried other
> Distros in the past, or even are using other Distros now. So, the idea of
> this topic is to share our experiances with other distros so that others
> can
> learn about them. ....

> ~ Chris "Kyral" Peterman
> Computer Science Undergraduate

I have been fairly impressed at how easy it is to maintain a development
server with Suse linux and Yast.  It is still what I use as a fileserver
because of the ease of setting up networking as well.  For example, the NFS
client and server roles are separated out into icons and extremely easy to
set up. (Go to "network services" in Yast, click..click..done).  Using
Ubuntu, I can easily find an NFS package, but it starts asking me what files
I want to share at a time I want to get them from another machine.  I have a
hobby of developing a simple website and that's what I want to learn more
about.  I don't want to have to learn about networking except as needed.

Was that a rant?  In short, there are easier and simpler distros than either
Suse or Ubuntu for the first-time comptuer user.  I would recommend using
Suse for someone who is not a computer professional but still wants to set
up different servers on their own.

Debian-based linux is community controlled and represents the best of Free
software, but I'm not sharp enought to use it for everything yet.

--
http://kimbriggs.com