HP (Deskjet 6840) Network Printer problems

foska ulist at gs1.ubuntuforums.org
Sun Apr 9 02:19:37 UTC 2006

Scott Wrote:
> Considering Ubuntu comes with all the drivers one would need for most

> any HP Printer (including mine), I figured it would be easy to get it
> up

> and running.

> Alas that wasn't meant to be.  Strangely enough I did get my Brother

> 7820N up and running (also a network printer) in Ubuntu, thanks to

> drivers provided by Brother.

> HP has drivers too, but that's where the HP drivers in Ubuntu came
> from.

> I've got my HP 6840 set up (right next to my Brother 7820N) in the

> GNOME printers applet. .......other stuff deleted

Well I have to say after reading this post I thought I was in for a
hell of a time but alas I have to report that it (installing my 6840
printer) was almost painless!!! My 6840 is networked and takes its IP
address from my ADSL router.

All I did was go into the Administration menu in Ubuntu and select the
Printing Option.  Next I clicked on "Add Printer" and a dialog came up
asking to indicate if it was a network or local printer. I selected the
network button of course!!!!  It also asks for a url and I just typed in
the IP address for the printer that was assigned by the ADSL router (in
my case 10.0.0.10). Oh...I left the option as CUPS printer (IPP)

Step 2

Select the manufacturer (HP) and look for the 6840 in the menu. Click
"Apply" and that was it the printer icon appeared and I sent a test
page to be printed.  Lovely test page by the way!!!!

--
foska