Other Distros (NOT A FLAMEWAR TOPIC!!)

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Sat Apr 8 19:55:42 UTC 2006

Chris Peterman wrote:

> Before you all go and bash me for the subject line, read the email at
> least :D

Hey, you yell like that in the subject, you're sure to get flames :-)

> Okay, presumably we all love X/K/Ubuntu, but we must have also tried other
> Distros in the past, or even are using other Distros now. So, the idea of
> this topic is to share our experiances with other distros so that others
> can learn about them. I know I sure as hell get bored every once in a
> while and switch to another distro on my production machine to see what
> its like. So lets here your opinions! Note that if ANY flamewars go
> on....I'll smack whoever did it :D

I've only ever used Debian-based distros.  I started with Corel Linux, moved
to pure-Debian when Corel obviously wasn't going anywhere and have been
using Ubuntu since it was brand new.

I keep trying to install other distros, but half of them haven't worked
out-of-the-box on my particular hardware, and the ones that have worked
didn't "feel" right.  I always end up back at Debian.
--
derek