Other Distros (NOT A FLAMEWAR TOPIC!!)

Alan McKinnon alan at linuxholdings.co.za
Sat Apr 8 18:14:25 UTC 2006

On Saturday 08 April 2006 17:13, Chris Peterman wrote:
> Before you all go and bash me for the subject line, read the email
> at least :D
>
> Okay, presumably we all love X/K/Ubuntu, but we must have also
> tried other Distros in the past, or even are using other Distros
> now. So, the idea of this topic is to share our experiances with
> other distros so that others can learn about them. I know I sure as
> hell get bored every once in a while and switch to another distro
> on my production machine to see what its like. So lets here your
> opinions! Note that if ANY flamewars go on....I'll smack whoever
> did it :D
>
> As a matter of fact, I'm running ArchLinux on my Desktop right now
> (Laptop is Xubuntu Dapper and server is Xen Breezy with Debian
> Stable/Testing XenGuests). So I guess I'll go first with a review
> on ArchLinux
>
> ArchLinux is quite nice for tinkerers.

<snip>

The ultimate tinkerer distro is gentoo. You even get to fiddle the
compiler settings to suit your own peculiar tastes. I've been using
gentoo on my desktop machine for over a year and it's a marriage made
in heaven.

Before that I had a lovingly hand crafted LFS setup that was
enormously satisfying to create and a real pita to keep up to date.

I'm keeping a close eye on Enlightenment currently and as soon as e17
is usable I'll run Ebuntu on a laptop

--
Alan McKinnon
alan at linuxholdings dot co dot za