[OT] Child Safty Precautions?

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Sat Apr 8 15:39:34 UTC 2006

Amichai Rotman wrote:

> I have a one year old chile whom just started to walk. He discovered the
> power button on my PC and keeps pressing it. Although my system's BIOS is
> set to S3 mode, and the system shuts down normaly - I am afraid for the
> integrity of it on the long run.
>
> How can I prevent my kid from touching the computer?

LOL.  I don't think Ubuntu can do much to stop your kid touching the
computer, but...

> Is there something I can configure in the system and/or the BIOS to
> disable the power button?

Certainly.  The power button is just another ACPI device.  Make sure
acpi-support is installed, and then you can
modify /etc/acpi/events/powerbtn to invoke a different script,
or /etc/acpi/powerbtn.sh to do something else. An "exit 0" as the first
executable statement in powerbtn.sh should do the job (you need to restart
acpid before it takes effect).
--
derek