Root password???

gpeck157 ulist at gs1.ubuntuforums.org
Fri Apr 7 21:48:54 UTC 2006

Jenda Vancura Wrote:
> >When you login as root, what password do you give when asked?

> I deleted the rest of the therad, because it looked terrible...

> You need to set the root password first with this command (exactly as

> typed, no placeholders):

> sudo passwd root

> BUT do read this before doing so, as it may damage your system:

> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/RootSudo

Thank you, I'm aware of that command. I was responding to the user who
claims there is no such thing as a root password. The "sudo" password is
not the same as the "root" password. They are different. If you try to
login as root when it asks for a username, you will be presented with a
request for a password. You will not be able to login with your sudo
password in this case. The "root" has it's own password. I think this
is what Facundo was looking for. If not, sorry. As has been pointed
out, you really do not need to login as root, and really shouldn't
unless you really know what you're doing. If not, you can hose your
system very quickly.

Thanks,

Glen

--