Ubuntu Certified Professionals

Daniel Carrera daniel.carrera at zmsl.com
Fri Apr 7 20:45:26 UTC 2006

email.listen at googlemail.com wrote:
>>LPI candidates are free to get their knowledge anyway they want - old
>>timers got it from man pages and mailing lists, newbies might want to
>>attend a formal course. Both are OK. If you want to organize a
>>LUG-style after hours class to teach stuff, you can go right ahead
>>and do it - in fact you are encouraged to do so. You can deliver a
>>course in a classroom, over the web or any other way you think would
>>work for you and your students. You can teach it in any order you
>>like and take as long as you want, you can offer any kind of
>>preparation, assessment and practice tests you think are appropriate,
>>and no-one can tell you otherwise.
>
> And thats just what I'm talking about.
> It don't matter if you are skilled or just learned a lot of questions for a
> test (what I like to call a braindump test)

So, what you call a "braindump" test is a test that evaluates skills but
does not force the pupil to follow a particular course?

I think it's a bit narrow-minded to suggest that the only way to acquire
knowledge is to take a course with a test at the end. I think that
certificating for actual knowledge and skills is the better way to go
because that tests what really matters, that is, whether you have the
knowledge or not. How the knowledge was acquired is simply not important.

> I'm just mentioned that supporting another LPI examination will be desastrous
> and contraproductive in the end.

I don't understand how that's supposed to happen. I think that having an
Ubuntu qualification is a good thing. Heck, I'd love it if my company
did an end-user qualification for Ubuntu!

> What I was talking about is a community driven strategy/system which scopes
> the education from a novice (a private users) point of view up to a
> professional training and examination. As high as an university degree if
> offered.

I don't know what you mean by this.

> What you mentioned as 'Channel Partner Program' again is a shortsighted way
> because ther is a gap between this professional training offers and no
> training offers/structures for private or novice users.
> What you will loose by doing so is the chance to have a tremendous
> motivational argument to involve the community in many ways.
> It is again a gradet system which has big gaps (better hurdles) between the
> diferent grades. It will again be a manifestation of barriers in education.

I'm sorry, I really don't see what problems you are talking about. What
gap are you talking about? I really don't understand you.

Daniel.
--
      /\/`) http://opendocumentfellowship.org
     /\/_/