Aptitude Magic (was: Running KDE)

David Symons ubuntu at liberatedcomputing.net
Fri Apr 7 12:50:11 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-04-07 at 13:25 +0100, Daniel Carrera wrote:
> David Symons wrote:
> > If you use aptitude instead of apt-get it will remember the dependencies
> > and remove them with the package.
>
> I'm not familiar with aptitude. I just took a look at the man page, and
> it looks similar to apt-get. So, could one just type this?:
>
> sudo aptitude remove kubuntu-desktop
>
> I assume that it deletes all the contents of the meta-package but
> nothing else, right? What if I installed (say) Konqueror separately
> before trying Kubuntu and I don't want to remove Konqueror? Do I have to
> install Konqueror again later?

Hi Daniel,

Yes that's right (to the first bit) and so its then no (to the second).

It will only remove the packages that came in when you installed (say)
kubuntu-desktop, and even then only those that aren't dependencies of a
package _subsequently_ installed.

Note also that you have to have used aptitude for the install in order
for it to work its magic for the remove.

Cheers, Dave.
--
David Symons
http://launchpad.net/people/bimberi