Root password???

Erik Christiansen erik at dd.nec.com.au
Fri Apr 7 01:57:08 UTC 2006

On Thu, Apr 06, 2006 at 08:25:21PM -0500, ZephyrQ wrote:
> Facundo Barrera wrote:
> >Hello list:
> >            I have just installed ubuntu and i dont know the root
> >password????
> >
> >Where it is???
> >
> >thanks
> >

> 	This brings up a minor issue for me.
>
> 	I've just recently come to Ubuntu through Libranet (the 'it just
> 	works' part finally sold me...even after I shelled out $ for all 14 CDs of
> Etch) but I've had to change some administrative habits because of the
> whole "sudo/root password" thing:

Fortunately for people with experience with unix in general, this
caution is readily made optional;

$ sudo passwd root

allowing system administration in the traditional manner.

That said, it can be just as convenient to sudo, as to raise a
(different coloured for safety) window in which I'd logged in as root.
The timeout on the sudo password entry can be extended if reentry
becomes irritating.

Erik