LVM support? On root?

Francisco Borges f.borges at rug.nl
Wed Apr 5 22:34:08 UTC 2006

ยป On Wed, Apr 05, 2006 at 10:23PM +0100, Dick Davies wrote:

> On 05/04/06, Al Gordon <runlevel7 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > These days, when I install a new Linux system, I usually set up the
> > disks with a volume group named System and one called Data.  I put
> > logical volumes for things like Root ("/"), Tmp ("/tmp") and Var
> > ("/var") in the System vg, and a Home lv ("/home") in the Data vg.
> > Home is often formated XFS, and the others EXT3, so that I have the
> > flexibility to grow Home on the fly (by adding another physical volume
> > to Data and just running a few LVM commands) or resize the lv's in
> > System from a boot CD environment, if necessary.
>

> I thought you couldn't shrink ext3 filesystems, though I could be wrong.

That would be something nice to get clarified.

I also got the same impression:

The LVM HOWTO talks about shrinking ext2, but there is no mention of
ext3. And there are also issues with ext2 and LVM2.

[...]

As far as FS choice goes I'm going to use reiserfs:

Reiserfs can be grown while mounted and umounted; and XFS must be
mounted. Reiserfs can shrink in size but XFS not.

Cheers,
--
Francisco Borges